My name is Emmy Lane and I'm in love with a little something called Facebook.
Let me explain...
When I said "I do" almost 15 years ago, I really, truly thought it would be forever. I mean, seriously, if you're walking down that aisle and you know deep down inside this marriage is not gonna last, why do it? Deep down inside, I really, truly thought it would last.
As I slowly approached the dreaded age of 40 and two incredible, but crazy kids later, that really, truly feeling had gone away. Replaced, in fact, with a different kind of really, truly feeling. A really, truly feeling of I know this marriage just isn't working out. Uh oh...
I joined Facebook two years ago. Ironically it was at the encouragement of my ex-husband to get on. My 20-year high school reunion was a few months away and it was the perfect opportunity to reconnect.
The reunion came and went, and of course, I was back in touch with a ton of people on Facebook. Several months and several hundred Facebook friends later, I was starting to spend more and more time on Facebook. That's when I started to feel those really, truly feelings starting to change and I realized I was just not happy in my own marriage.
The crazy thing is, well, maybe it's not so crazy, but the more time I spent on Facebook and reconnected with people from my past, the more I realized how much I had lost my identity. The more people I found from my past, the happier I was. Why? They knew me as me...not as some one's wife or mother. They knew me as me!
Whether it was a friend from camp or college, high school or elementary school, the connections and feelings were there. The more intimate the conversation became, the more I realized I need to make some changes in my life.
My ex husband and I separated last summer and I haven't looked back since. Facebook didn't cause the breakup of my marriage. It simply made me realize I was not alone. On Facebook, I had a support system and an incredible network of friends. Facebook empowered me. It allowed me to be me again. I had been lost for so many years and now, I am happy to say, I am found.
This is only the beginning. Facebook changed my life and this is my story.
Simply,
Emmy Lane...xx
Hi Emmy,
ReplyDeleteThis is fabulous! Facebook is so great and so powerful. I'm looking forward to reading more!!
Best
I